Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Farewell to Arms


I am not posting as frequently these days because the internet in the trailer is terribly slow. SO slow in fact that I have to resort to ancient technology such as books for entertainment. I finished "A Farewell to Arms" by Hemingway a few weeks ago and wanted to say a few words about it but at the time I couldn't deal with how long it took to load blogspot.


The story is about a young American in the Italian army in WWI that falls in love with a nurse. It is written in that typical dark masculine Hemingway style that I was somewhat familiar with but as I got more into it I said to myself at some point, hey this is too real to be fiction, what's really going on here?

Turns out Hemingway was an ambulance driver in the Italian Army during WWI, and he did fall in love with a nurse... the difference between the story and reality is that when he came back from the front she had moved on and shacked up with a different officer.

I guess what I found so compelling about the book was first the detailed description of his experience, and then again the brutal honesty of young romance. You can tell almost exactly in the story where he diverges from reality and in a bizarre impossible situation gets to stay with his lover.




The actual Ms. Barkley